Habits affecting leadership quality
One of the strongest qualities, companies look at individuals, to possess at some stage, is the leadership qualities.
- An employee’s contribution gets that much more noticed, if he has the abilities to take initiatives and lead from the front, especially during challenging situations.
- However, there are certain challenges, through some factors, which could actually demotivate an individual, from taking up leadership opportunities. Might sound a bit strange!
- What could be those? Read on to find out.
“Leaders who don’t listen will eventually be left with people who have nothing to say”
- Leadership skills, is one of the desired components, of analysing a candidate’s suitability, for a particular job requirement.
- It is imperative that an individual graduates from being just an independent contributor, to leading a team, which is very important for his growth within the organization. One of the first skills, which are looked at in a leader, is communication skills.
- It is not just oral, but written communication skills, which are equally important. Self-awareness is another important factor, which builds strong leaders. A leader should be confident about himself and his own abilities, before trying to generate confidence within his team.
- As a leader, the team looks upto the concerned individual, to support them through all channels and when it is really required.
- As such, how much the individual, as a leader, is able to influence his top management or decision makers, with respect to his team’s expectations, is another strong skill.
The Importance of Leadership
- Why are leadership qualities really important? It is the leader, who actually is the face of any team.
- Leadership qualities, not only maximizes the efficiency of the person, holding the position, but also hugely impacts the mind-sets and performance of his team. A complete leader leads from the front and boosts the morale the entire team.
- The importance of leadership qualities is much displayed in the absence of the regular decision making in charge, where the need for taking initiatives is more.
- An effective leader builds up the work environment, which is very essential, to get the best out of his team members and thereby, contributing to the growth of business and the organization, in general.
- But, there are certain qualities which might turn out to be bad leadership qualities, which might seriously affect both, the leader as well as the organization.
Bad Leadership Qualities
A leader sets an example for others to follow. At the same time, a bad leader creates an impression, with others, not to follow him! Here are few factors, which could kill leadership qualities, in an individual
- One of the visible qualities of a bad leader is the lack of complete transparency in leading his team. This may lead to mistrust and ultimately, affect the performance of the team
- One, who communicates well, should be a good listener too. Qualities of a bad leader include not giving due time the person, who is interacting with him and frequently intervenes and disrupts the conversation.
- Though leadership qualities call for taking initiatives, this should not be mistaken to the right to take critical decisions involving finance and security on their own. Bad leaders do not think it appropriate to involve the concerned department or senior, with whom the relevant matter is to be discussed with and in the end, ruin the whole show.
- The most notable contributor to killing leadership qualities is Ego. Leadership calls for equality in management and not to make his subordinates feel, that he is the best of all and knows everything. Nobody is born perfect.
- Not being flexible in giving good working options reflects the quality of a bad leader. Employees need to be treated as a family member and not like servants.
- A conservative and reserved approach, on part of the leader, reflects a very poor leadership quality. This demotivates the team completely and affects performance.
- Engaging in negative gossip and creating a false propaganda, is one of the worst qualities, a leader can possess. Trust is immediately shattered and the team members risk the possibility of being isolated and embarrassed.
- Poor communication of business strategies and trying to give catastrophic pictures of what the actual matter of importance is, leads to poor leadership and intern disaster.
- Being selfish and self-centred is another quality which does not go well with a good leader. A bad leader tends to take all the credit to him, though his entire team would have been the reason behind a successful venture.
- A bad leader, looks to his comfort zone and never stays down to earth. He is never forward thinking and tends to stagnate.
Revisit and Recap
What are the factors which could affect leadership qualities?
Not being transparent, flexible and unable to communicate well with his team at regular intervals affects leadership qualities. Lack of enthusiasm and ability to infuse trust within the team members, reflects poor quality leadership.
How does bad leadership, affect the organization?
Creating a sense of disbelief amongst the employees that they are always at a risk of losing their jobs or are no longer in the in the scheme of things, of the organization, is one of the worst qualities of a leader. In addition, bad leadership qualities can throw the progress of an organization, out of hope and derail the growth process.
How can companies identify a bad leader?
Companies can keep an eye on the leader’s behaviour and body language. Companies can also identify flaws in leadership qualities by monitoring the progress of the responsibilities assigned as well as conducting a survey amongst the employees, without the knowledge of the leader in question.